The Chamber of Schenectady County, along with 20 individual business owners, released a statement today saying they support plans for a new $300 million resort casino along the waterfront in Schenectady, New York.
The statement from the 1,000-member chamber and business owners comes as the City Council prepares to vote on a resolution of support this month for the proposed casino off Erie Boulevard.
A resolution from the local governing body is a requirement for any developer seeking one of four casino licenses that will be awarded upstate this fall.
Some residents object to the casino, saying it wouldn’t be the economic boost that the development team is claiming. Others favor Rivers Casino & Resort at Mohawk Harbor because of the millions of dollars in revenue for local governments and new jobs that would be created.
The investments at Mohawk Harbor, on the site of the former American Locomotive manufacturing plant, would total $450 million, including new stores, residences, restaurants and a harbor.
The following business owners signed the letter of support, according to the developers:
- Joe Masher, Chief Operating Officer, Bow Tie Cinemas
- Bobby Mallozzi, Co-Owner of Johnny’s Restaurant, Owner, Villa Italia
- Angelo Mazzone, Owner, Mazzone Hospitality
- Matt Baumgartner, Owner, Bombers Burrito Bar/Biergarten
- Peter Blackman, Co-Owner, Aperitivo
- Johnny Mallozzi, Co-Owner, Johnny’s Restaurant
- William Mark Young, Co-Owner, Mexican Radio
- Andy Zheng, Owner, Zen
- Marc Renson, Owner, Ambition
- Jerry Menagias, Owner, Mama’s Ice Cream
- Nick Antoinette, Owner, Peter Anthony’s Cafe
- Mohammed Waheed, Owner, Taj Mahal
- Christine Mallozzi, Owner, Belvedere Inn
- Alexis Crank-Harrison, General Manager, The Parker Inn & Suites
- Antonio Civitella, President and CEO, Transfinder
- Dr. Giuseppe Veglio, Owner, Paul Mitchell School
- Rudy Grant, Co-Owner and President, Experience and Creative Design
- Evan Euripidou, Owner, Anthology
- Maryann Meskutovecz, Owner, Lennon’s Irish Shop
- William Faubion, Vice President and Senior Relationship Manager, NBT Bank
- Joseph Straub, Vice President, M/E Engineering
DeMasi covers real estate, construction, retail and hospitality.
Back To All Posts